Friday, January 25, 2008

More of Ghana

First order of business, I'll try to post in fairly short spurts as I always have a hard time reading 12 pages of someone else's blog or email, and this way you can pick and choose based on how interesting I make the title. I feel like my life isn't really all that interesting right now, so if it comes off as boring...well, it kinda is. I'm not used to life so slow. You know me. It is different, which I guess is the only thing that makes it interesting. I can't post pictures, but I'll do my best to entertain you.

So, some things that are pretty typical around here. Everyone carries everything on their heads. They have got to have some serious neck problems! Some of those things have got to weigh 40 pounds in fruit and water. Honestly. Also, all the women carry the babies on their backs. Pretty cool. The older children carry them too sometimes.

Like I said, I live in this compound. All the volunteers speak English. They're all pretty cool. Big Mama (quite the appropriate name) cooks most of our meals. They made us 2 Ghanaian meals yesterday and they were really good. I wish they'd cook like that for us all the time. It seems they're afraid we won't like real Ghanaian food, so they kinda cheap out on most of the time.

I did laundry today. You know, in a bucket. We do everything in buckets.

One of the other volunteers went to get a haircut last week by someone named Precious. We don't think he had any idea...Which reminds me that we're told that being gay is a crime here. Oh, and only wear camo if you wish to risk your life, or your freedom.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

I am so jealous right now. You are just living in a completely different world than ours.

After watching The Jungle Book, I always wanted to carry things on my head.

Good thing you are not gay. I never did want you to be. But now it is a good thing that you aren't.

Brie said...

I had a dream last night that you figured out a way to post pictures. I must really be desperate. Also, when I was reading about carrying things on their heads, I saw the word "babies" below and I thought you were going to say they carried babies on their heads too.

Karen S said...

When I was pregnant with Morgan I had my ESL students make a list of possible baby names and one of them was "Precious". We kept that one as a back-up.

Kristin said...

Ha Ha Ha! Precious Stapley---has a nice ring to it.

Brooke said...

I thought the exact same thing as Brie :o) I was thinking "man, if I tried to carry Ella on my head, I would need some serious chiropractic help!!!!" ummm, "Precious" Sean and Nicole have you guys definitely decided on Halle ;o)