Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mercy Orphanage

The moment you've all been waiting for...but it's not very eventful. I went to the orphanage on Monday for the first time. The kids are great. When we get there (about 1:30) most of them are in school. The younger ones are usually napping.

The three little ones are Hope (2 yrs), Charity (5), and Jacob (5). I don't know why they aren't in school. Jacob is super skinny, even skinnier than Ty! Charity and Jacob love little songs like popcorn popping, if you're happy and you know it, and the little piggies. I did the little piggies like 30 times yesterday. I improvise with the whole 'this little piggy had roast beef' thing; it's usually banku. And it's sad when one piggy doesn't get anything, so he usually gets pineapple.

We went on a walk and Allie bought some pineapple for the kids.

There are about 20 of them. The orphanage is super small. All the kids sleep in 2 rooms in bunk beds. At least 2 in each bed. SO different from the orphanage in the Philippines.

After the other kids got home from school yesterday Faith (5) and Charity did my hair. That is, until Martha (13) came over and fixed it for me by undoing all the braids.

We colored. We tried to keep them from hitting each other (a big problem). We tickled. We talked. We hugged.

They make me think of my Filipino babies and it makes me miss them.

I talked to a 14-year old girl named Sheila a lot. She had a lot of questions about America.

Then we said goodbye until the next day.

2 comments:

Brie said...

I Lol at the piggies, too funny! I also love hearing about the orphanage, can't wait to hear more. Maybe we should send you vegetables? I found this http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=450953&highlight=ghana

Go down to #7, from someone that lived there for a while. Go to mamma mia and the pool! I bet it's the cleanest you'd get!

Brooke said...

"I improvise with the whole 'this little piggy had roast beef' thing; it's usually banku. And it's sad when one piggy doesn't get anything, so he usually gets pineapple. " hehehe, it reminds me of the "Friends" episode when Phoebe discovers her mom never told her the "bad" ending to any story growing up! I too LOVE hearing about the orphanage, and I want a picture of you with a million little braids, ok?